It’s Been a Crazy Few Weeks

It has been a while since posting anything and I wanted to let you know what has been going on during that time. I left to go to DC for a friends memorial service on September 17, who passed away in July and who by being an organ d...onor gave life to others as he himself passed on (I returned on September 22, 2014).

New Panel Boxes and Electric Meters

New Panel Boxes and Electric Meters

Before leaving I had made the decision to have the entire building re-wired and have new panel boxes installed as well as putting each of the 3 units on individual electric meters. The electricians started that job on September 18, 2014 with a D&R scheduled with Florida Power and Light. The tedious job of going through and wiring each room of each unit to its on panel box began after my return from DC. We are still today checking and connecting to the appropriate panel boxes.


In addition to installing individual electric meters and new panel boxes, I wanted all AC units on their own dedicated circuits, as well as dedicated circuits for my microwave and I needed to install additional outlets on circuits dedicated to my electronic equipment. In addition two additional water heaters had to be wired in for the other two units.

Studs gone.

Studs gone.

I had also made the decision to have two exterior walls on the north and northeast side of the building completely replaced which required jacking up the ceiling and my bedroom floor above to replace the walls. The north wall which had a door in it was replaced with a new egress window installed instead of the door which really served no purpose to being there since it was the bedroom on the downstairs unit. I contracted with Wise Builders to have the walls replaced and a window installed. The permitting process with the City of Holly Hill took a little extra time because with the walls being weight bearing walls we had to have an engineer or architect prepare drawings and sign off on the plans.

The decision to replace the walls was made after I discovered some water damage in the drywall and after punching a hole in the wall to see where the water was coming from I discovered the wall studs simply no longer supported the ceiling and floors above.

The before pictures show the bedroom with a door and a huge window facing out onto a staircase leading upstairs.
That door and window have both been removed and a new egress window installed where the door used to be. The photos below are what the room looks like now (priming and painting still needs to be done) and carpet installed on Thursday.
In the process of changing out a water heater I discovered there was more repairs that had to be made to the water lines, drain pipes, walls and flooring so I went ahead and made those repairs which ended up putting all new lines, drains, toilet and sink and vanity in as well as new walls. These are the before photos of the bathroom:
This is what the bathroom looks like now:

It has been a very busy few weeks and I am almost at the completion stage of all the work. Sometimes life dictates what we do and when we do it.

 

 


Comments are closed.